Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Welcome

My wife says I rant a lot. I think she's sort of right. I used to rant a lot. I would go on about things so vociferously that stuff would come out of my mouth that surprised even myself. Somewhere along the way I stopped. Now I just stress out. I guess that's the reason for "House of Redfly".



A little background:

I used to be a frustrated screenwriter. No real activity with most of my scripts. As an indie filmmaker, most of what I wrote was intended to be made by myself on the cheap.

I made a low-budget feature that was praised by just about anyone who saw it, but never got a proper release. Then-- finally, I was hired by someone to write a a sequel to a somewhat popular cult film.

The original film had been secretly produced by another cult figure who was on the verge of major A-list success. It seemed like a sure thing. We were courted by a mini-major studio who seemed high on the concept; a story I had pitched which was only semi-related to the original. In April of 1999 we submitted the script to the studio with fingers crossed.

A couple of days later, the Columbine Massacre happened.

The script, a combination of gory horror thriller, relationship drama and political satire was dropped by the studio like a hot potato. No one in town wished to be associated with violent content of any kind, not even with comedic sensibilities.

Over the years, the script shuffled around from place to place, through several low-budget houses, all the way to the production company of a major A-list movie star. It was universally praised.

It was never made.

To use a baseball analogy, I should have gotten right back into the batter's box. However, other directing and editing opportunities arose (indies tend to wear many hats), along with life -- weddings, funerals, children -- you get the picture. Try as I may, I haven't been able to write a screenplay in a very long time.

Thus -- once again, welcome to "House of Redfly".

A writer writes. I need to write again. Not really sure where I'm going with this thing, but judging from the screenplay I just told you about, it could go anywhere from political diatribes to movie reviews, maybe both at the same time, depending upon the day. I've just been feeling the itch to rant as of late.

I hope you join me for the ride.

2 comments:

  1. I think you should rant about the ghettoization of the horror movie genre.

    ReplyDelete