Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Strong Mother&*%#@rs

Mike Huckabee is an opportunistic hypocrite.


Let's just get this out of the way and quote exactly what he said last Tuesday on Michael Medved's radio program:



"You know Michael, one of the things that's troubling is that people see a Natalie Portman or some other Hollywood starlet who boasts of, 'Hey look, you know, we're having children, we're not married, but we're having these children, and they're doing just fine.' But there aren't really a lot of single moms out there who are making millions of dollars every year for being in a movie. And I think it gives a distorted image that yes, not everybody hires nannies, and caretakers, and nurses. Most single moms are very poor, uneducated, can't get a job, and if it weren't for government assistance, their kids would be starving to death and never have health care. And that's the story that we're not seeing, and it's unfortunate that we glorify and glamorize the idea of out of children wedlock."


The day after Mr. Huckabee made these comments, a Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll showed him in the lead of possible 2012 Republican candidates, ahead of Mitt Romney by about 4%.


Hmmm.


Why is it that during the 2008 presidential farce (I'm sorry, I mean race -- my spell check is broken), when it came to light that Sarah Palin's daughter, Bristol was an unwed teenage mother, he made no such disparaging remarks? In fact, he defended Bristol Palin, praising her decision to keep her baby.


Mike Huckabee is an opportunistic hypocrite.


I've never understood the hatred for single mothers. Huckabee wants to portray this as a socio-economic issue, the idea being that most single mothers are poor and a strain on society through welfare and other such programs. The fact that Natalie Portman has money makes her an easy target. But I don't think that's what's going on here.


Clearly Huckabee is pandering to the far right base of the Republican Party, so what is it about single mothers that frightens them so much? I think it has less to do with money and more to do with strong women. Because it's true -- it takes a very strong woman to be a single mother. Anybody can raise children with the support of a spouse and family, but single mothers need that extra something. Strong single mothers are an affront to a patriarchal society. And this scares the living crap out of traditionalists (read -- far right males).


Well I've got a news flash for you.


Take a long hard look at the traditional nuclear family and guess who is really in charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment