Last week, commenting on the possibility of an NFL work stoppage, the first in twenty four years, he seemed stunned that an industry that generates approximately $9 billion a year could not find an amicable way to split the dough up to everyone's satisfaction. And now just under three hours ago, the owners have locked out the players after negotiations broke down Friday afternoon.
I'm a big football fan, but what bugs me about this is the timing. I don't think this could have occurred at a more inopportune moment. This may all come to nothing -- after all, it's still five months until the preseason, but with all the brouhaha across the country over unions, I don't think the American public is going to take too kindly to a bunch of fat cats squabbling over more money than the average person can even begin to grasp. Especially when it means suspension of America's favorite pastime.
What's that? Isn't baseball called "America's favorite pastime?" Absolutely, but I think it's quite clear that football has passed it in popularity. Just look at the money spent on commercials during the Super Bowl. And I believe baseball's popularity was tarnished irreparably by the 1994-95 strike.
Maybe this will all come to naught. The owners still plan to hold the draft in April. Or maybe we could end up with a craptacular season of scab football like we got in 1987. I remember laughing till I cried viewing games that year. But after four weeks of scab games that made high school football look professional, players and owners came to terms.
Let's not go there this time. We just don't need it as a country.
No comments:
Post a Comment